Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Great Chop


I never have given blood. I am not a big fan of needles being used on my body. I have given hair for cancer patients. Today was the second time I went in for "a big chop." I will admit, my hair had reached the ugly stage and at that length I was only growing it so that I could donate more. The dual thrill of coming home with hair that will need less shampoo and sending in an envelope filled with a ponytail makes it worth my while. Two great organizations exist for donating hair. Two years ago, I donated hair to "Pantene Beautiful Lengths" a program that works with The American Cancer Society to provide real-hair wigs to women fighting cancer (minimum donation 8"). Today, the hairdresser gleefully chopped my ponytail. Tomorrow, I am going to send in my ponytail to "Locks of Love," which provides hair pieces to children and adolescents suffering from long-term medical hair loss for any reason (minimum donation 10"). I was getting a bit attached to the hair and that is flat out unhealthy. So now I greet summer and soon DC humidity with short locks (and a tiny ponytail).

If interested in donating your hair, check out:
1. Locks of Love
2. Pantene Beautiful Lengths

1 comment:

Jess Gitner said...

Omg! I love your hair, your expression, your Swaziland beads, and, of course, your brown shirt. Haha.