Tuesday, September 21, 2010

i have a pet spider

I have a pet spider. I suppose her name could be Lucille. I know this may be difficult to understand. My desk sits next to a window that has a screen. Outside my window lives Lucille.

Lucille is the size of a large silver dollar. Her black legs have yellow stripes. Possibly this is to alert me that she is dangerous. She is visible usually only when the sun isn't shining. It just started to pour and Lucille seems to feel at home in the dreary weather. If there is a large gust of wind, she holds tightly to her fierce web.

From time to time, I imagine moving Lucille from her window-location. I mean, spiders are a bit creepy. Yet in the hours upon hours of biochem, human development, and anatomy--she is always there. What is a spider's lifetime anyways?

I leave you with a quote from E.B. White's classic Charlotte's Web:

"
You have been my friend. That in itself is a tremendous thing. I wove my webs for you because I liked you. After all, what's a life, anyway? We're born, we live a little while, we die. A spider's life can't help being something of a mess, with all this trapping and eating flies. By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone's life can stand a little of that."
~Charlotte

Perhaps Lucille the Spider and I have some sort of a mutually beneficial symbiotic relationship. Hopefully Lucille survies the storm.

No comments: