Monday, March 7, 2011

40 Days and 40 Nights without Facebook

I have one exam left before the end of this interminable exam week. Cell and Tissue Biology-check. Neuroanatomy check. Only Physiology left. Oh to conquer the magic that happens in the kidney. So much solitary study time leads me to several thoughts:
  • In only four days I will be in Ecuador!
  • I think I travel through O'Hare, maybe. Anyways, at O'Hare airport not only do I pretend to be Macaulay Culkin's mother from Home Alone, dashing through the airport to rush back to little Kevin; I also love seeing the Dentyne Ice ads that hang in between two terminals. They make me smile! (see above).
  • The ads leave me to think about Facebook. In the hours of studying, I obviously need some breaks and Facebook tends to be in the top five of 5 min breaks. This is perhaps unfortunate. Wouldn't it be nicer to call a friend? Write a catch-up email? Maybe even a little snail mail or lament with a classmate the hours left to become mini-masters of renal function?
  • Tomorrow is Mardi Gras--unfortunately the highlight of my celebrations will probably be munching a few Girl Scout thin mints and the gym.
Wednesday is Ash Wednesday. As a kid in Catholic School it was a day filled with hype around the ash cross placed on your forehead with the blessing, "Remember, thou art dust, and unto dust thou shalt return." We compared ashen-cross size and shape. Later, I came to cherish the day as a reminder of mortality and humility. Traditionally, Lenten penance; be it prayer, fasting, or almsgiving; is a way to prepare for the Resurrection of Christ at Easter.

This year, I'm taking a modern fast, a Facebook fast. I would like to think of it as a way to gain serenity and to deepen relationships. Maybe after Lent, I will be ready to use FB more sparingly as a well-honed tool for connecting with friends and acquaintances.

I still plan on requesting friends, confirming friend requests and offering Birthday Wishes--just in person and on the phone! I also just realized this is during my Birthday month, which will be especially hard. Even though it is silly, it is fun to read birthday posts. I will triumph over Facebook breaks.


Almost Spring Break! Almost time to leave the land of highlighters, sticky-post its, 3 ring binders, and wikipedia articles on physiology terms that do not strike me as familiar!

No comments: